Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Pike's Peak

Yesterday a few of us had the opportunity to drive (yes drive, not hike) to the top of Pike's Peak. It was an amazing drive that took about 1 hour to get to the top, but it was a beautiful trip, full of breathtaking vistas of snowcapped mountains, crystal clear lakes and luscious valleys. Once we got to the top we were hit with thin air, 30 degree temperatures and strong winds to match. It was definitely a change from the 80 degree sunny weather in Palmer Lake.







Standing atop such a high mountain looking down at the miniscule town from where I just came, I was struck by the vastness of the world. I felt so small standing on top of Pike's peak, a seemingly enormous mountain, yet it is just a small dot on a map of the world. What an amazing God we serve who has created a world so big, so grand that it is unfathomable to the human mind, and yet He cares for each individual nation, each individual city, and each individual soul. There I was, on top of that huge mountain, enjoying God's amazing creation and I felt certain that He made it just for me. Just for me to enjoy it at that very moment. Just for me to look out on those beautiful mountains, decorated so delicately with snow. Just for me to feel the cold bite of the wind to remind me that I am alive. To remind me that God is strong and powerful, yet He cares. Cares so deeply for each created thing. Each tree, each bird, each child. He reminded me why I go, and why I live.

It is because He loves.

No comments: